The New I-9 & W-4- Mandated Requirements for Worker Verification, Authorization and Withholding Calculations
This program has been approved HRCI Credit 1.5
Download Attendee MaterialConference Material (Password Required)
The federal government uses E-Verify to enhance enforcement of federal immigration law and Federal law requires that every employer who recruits, refers for a fee, or hires an individual for employment in the United States must complete Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. The Form I-9 process, managed by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, will help you verify your employee's identity and employment authorization. And also, the IRS released a draft of the 2020 Form W-4 for the payroll and tax community to review. The importance of the Form W-4 is fundamental to the payroll department. It is the foundation for the taxation of an employee’s paycheck as well as a required IRS form.
The I-9 and W-4 forms are payroll forms that employers Must receive during the hiring process. Employers take a high risk not obtaining them prior to employment. The IRS and the USCIS both have specific rules on how to obtain, verify and process these forms. In some cases, penalties for I-9 non-compliance can result in jail time, as well as Homeland Security, the FBI, an USCIS immigration audits. If you don’t use the new W-4, it could result in your company being reviewed for under or over withholding federal income tax.
Join this webinar with our expert, Margie Faulk, PHR, SHRM-CP to Understand all rules that apply to these forms. 2020 is fast approaching and you won’t want to be left behind. Margie Faulk is a senior level human resources professional with over 14 years of HR management and compliance experience. She had one of 3 compliance auditors who reviewed over 7,000 I-9 documents from an agricultural farm in Florida in 2012 and Learn what she knows about this very important reality.
- Understand the I-9 and W-4 line by line, to make clear what information is necessary for your company to collect.
- Latest requirements for e-verification program and W-4 or Technical violations and Substantive violations
- Margie will discuss what to do with both forms when you receive them.
- What is the Council for Global Immigration and what employees are protected? and I-9 anti-discrimination provision
- For the W-4, we will discuss how the employees will be calculating the withholdings, and what it means for your payroll department.
- Know who has to give you the new W-4 vs the old one in 2020.
- Eventually get a new W-4 from all workers.
- Input the new information into your payroll system.
- When you must send Form W-4 to the IRS—it’s not what you think!
- Effective strategies for streamlining your processing procedures you can use right now
- How to withhold federal taxes in the absence of a valid Form W-4
- The difference between an invalid form and a “questionable” one
- How do you use e-verify?
- Who requires e-verify?
- When to re-verify
- Understanding the Receipt rule
- Form I-9 changes.
- What types of errors have the highest fines?
Who Will Benefit:
- Payroll Executives/Managers/Administrators/Professionals/Practitioners/Entry Level Personnel
- Human resources professionals
- Compliance officers
- Managers or supervisors
- Dept or Functional Managers
- Business owners
- Anyone responsible for completing I-9 forms for their companies